Corporate Governance has become one of the signature issues of our times – in the financial markets, in the boardroom, and in the courtroom. Yet there is little agreement about what constitutes good corporate governance or how to measure it. The Rock Center for Corporate Governance was founded at Stanford University in 2006 with a generous donation from Arthur and Toni Rembe Rock, with the belief that by examining these issues in new and more rigorous ways, we could shape the future of corporate governance.
Led by Robert Daines, Joseph Grundfest and Daniel Siciliano from Stanford Law School and David Larcker from the Graduate School of Business, the Rock Center provides an environment focused on innovation and collaboration, drawing on the world-class resources of Stanford University. The center’s programs – and the leading researchers, legal practitioners, and business and policy experts they attract create a forum in which key questions can be tested and explored. The Rock Center provides a focal point for sustained empirical research and sponsors a diverse series of events including seminars, conferences, and guest speakers addressing real-world governance practices.
The Rock Center was founded at Stanford with three objectives:
- First, through conferences and seminars, engage key academics, regulators and professionals from the business and legal communities in the debate about corporate governance, bridging the gap between theory and practice;
- Second, through research, online resources, and educational programs, the Rock Center hopes to advance intellectual understanding of the governance process;
- Third, by developing new educational and course materials, the Rock Center hopes to strengthen corporate governance as an independent area of teaching and scholarship at law schools and business schools worldwide.
“Innovation and new ventures fuel the global economy but the spark comes from investment. Investment is about trust. It’s about knowing that the people investors entrust with their money are running ethical, transparent, and effective businesses.”
- Arthur Rock, founder with Toni Rembe, of the Arthur and Toni Rembe Rock Center for Corporate Governance
If you would like more information about the Rock Center, please contact us.
* “The views expressed by any Stanford and Rock Center faculty and directors are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of the Rock Center for Corporate Governance and/or of any other individual Stanford faculty, school or department”.